OH247

Diva Icon #2: Naomi Campbell

 Supermodel, hellraiser and black diva Naomi Campbell is my very favourite nineties model. Signed at Elite at the age of 15, she had been conquering the fashion world for the past decennia. The African- Jamaican (she also had a Chinese-Jamaican grandmother!) beauty of British nationality is not only best friends with boho-to-glamour legend Kate Moss, bus is also linked to the very exclusive club of nineties supermodels (concidered by the large fashion mags) Cindy Crawford, Christy Turlington, Linda Evangelista and Claudia Schiffer. In 1988 Naomi was the first black model on the cover of the French Vogue. Let's bring a little more fierceness to our week with this gorgeous diva.



Music to listen to:
anything from her album "Babywoman", like "All Through The Night" or "Love and Tears". Or go for a MJ Classic - "In The Closet", where Naomi looks extremely sensual. One of the most memorable video's she's starring.Or George Michael's "Freedom! 90"


Her trademark:
The long, voluminous locks, a pair of oversized sunglasses, super high Loubis and of course - the gorgeous black long legs. 


Quotes:
"I don't like yes-people. I don't want yes-people around me; I think they're extremely dangerous. I like people who are honest with me and tell me the truth. I can take it."

"Anger is a manifestation of a deeper issue... and that, for me, is based on insecurity, self-esteem and loneliness."

"I make a lot of money, but I don't want to talk about that. I work very hard and I'm worth every cent."

"After Versace was murdered, the first person to call me was Mandela."



What to do this week:
 
Practice your walk. Nineties models had the runway all to themselves, printed jobs came second. You have to be fierce, fabulous and dangerous.

Read her novel "Swan" (1994) about a supermodel dealing with blackmail.

Watch "The Face", where she is coach and judge together with fellow models Karolina Kurkova and Coco Rocha in a model competition reality show.

Do something for charity. Naomi fights poverty in Brasil, supports the Nelson Mandela children's fund, organises benefit fashion events and many other things.

Do 90's modelish things (and by that I don't mean coke) like partying with your girls, taking b/w pictures and just be cool, no fangirling! Listen to Madonna, Kurt Cobain, watch the Fresh Prince, wear Calvin Klein undies.



Trivia:

When she was seven, she was featured in Bob Marley's video "This is Love".

She had to witness in a case against Liberian dictator Charles Taylor, rumor has it she received blood diamonds from Sierra Leone from him. She did admit that there were men who gave her diamonds, knocking at her bedroom door at the hotel. She didn't want to reveal their identity.

This picture where a man lights her cigarette with a chandelier is actually my favorite.

She posed nude in Madonna's book "Sex" with Big Daddy Kane and Madonna herself. I would die for a printed cushion of their threesome but I can't find one anywhere.

She invested, together with other supermodels, in a chain of restaurants called "Fashion Café."

She once stated "The American president may be black, but as a black woman, I am still an exception in this business. I always have to work harder to be treated equally." In 2014 she joined fellow black models Iman and Bethann Hardison in an advocacy group "Diversity Coalition". In an open letter to the governing bodies of global fashion weeks, they named high-profile designers who used just one or no models of color in their fall 2014 shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Request or ask something: info@onheels247.com